15 Weather Props
Do you use props during your music time? If not, it is worth considering as they can really help children engage through a sensory/interactive element to an activity. I have listed below 15 props/resources that I have used with children from 0 to 5 years in weather themed songs, rhymes and listening activities.
1. Scarves: I have used these in activities where children listen to music inspired by rain, snow or wind
2. A Parachute: Is a good way to create the effect of wind for songs and listening activities, e.g. pretend it is a sail, tree… blowing in the wind
3. Lycra (stretchy fabric): As an alternative to the parachute.
4. Bubbles: These are great to represent rain and snow; the children love trying to catch and pop the bubbles.
5. Hats: I have used hats to encourage children to dance. The children move their sun hat around as they dance to music
6. Snowmachine: I used this at my parent/carer and child classes when listening to snow inspired music. You can see an image below from one of these sessions.
7. Snow Fabric: I have floated this fabric over babies when they have been listening to snow inspired music.
8. Umbrellas: Are great for songs like 'Please open your umbrellas'. Also when listening to music with a snowmachine.
9. Projector: I have projected images or videos of different weather on a wall or pop-up tent. I once projected a rain video on the pop-up tent whilst the children walked underneath it; the children loved it!
10. Sequinned Blue fabric: I have used this sequin fabric with all children to represent rain falling as we have sung/said rhymes.
11. Windmills: I have used these with babies where the adult blows them as they listen to music.
12. Fan: During my adult/carer and child classes I attached ribbons to a fan. The child/ren with their adult danced around to the music whilst watching the ribbons move.
13. Mini Kite: I bought one of these from a supermarket (like in the image below) and floated it over the children whilst we sang songs and listened to music about the wind.
14. Rainbow Printed Fabric: Great for rainbow songs and recorded music. The picture below was taken in one of my baby classes
15. Streamers/Ribbons: the children love dancing with these to music. I have used them with rainbow and wind music activities.
If you are looking for Weather themed music activities for children ~2 to 5 years then I can help! Take a look at Early Years Music Ideas: Click Here to read more about Early Years Music Ideas
Happy music making!
- Celebrations (8)
- Composing Music (2)
- Instruments (2)
- Listening to music (6)
- Live Music (1)
- Mathematics (3)
- Mathematics: Number (2)
- Mathematics: Shape, Space and Measure (1)
- Music Area (1)
- Musical Elements (1)
- Music Time (10)
- Nursery Rhymes (5)
- Outdoor Music (2)
- Performing (2)
- PDP (4)
- Props (10)
- Routines (2)
- Schemas (2)
- Seasons (5)
- Senses (1)
- Sensory (3)
- Singing (13)
- The Importance of Music in the Early Years (5)
- Topics and Themes (8)
- Top Tips (1)
- Vocal Play (1)